walking in the algarve
Walking in the ALGARVE have many documented walking trails that are all available on GPS
Walking in the Algarve is a truly exceptional experience. Due to the mild climate and beautiful nature, the Portuguese Algarve is a fantastic place to discover on foot. The ideal walking period is from September until June. Hundreds of miles of unpaved roads, hardly used goat tracks and trails, meander through a miraculous landscape. Old mills, rivers that rumble through lush valleys with sleepy little towns appearing at the most unexpected moments during your walk. Walking from B&B Cas al Cubo in our Algarve is a real pleasure.
On this website you can find information on several walking routes in the Algarve:
Walking routes in the East- and West Algarve walked and mapped by ourselves:
- The complete route of Via Algarviana (GR 13), the long distance walking route that runs from East to West through the Algarve. The 300-kilometer hiking trail is divided into 14 sectors and starts in Alcoutim in the East. The route ends at the Cabo de São Vicente in the west.
- The complete route of the Rota Vicentina (GR11), a long-distance hiking route of 162 miles that runs from north to south along the Portuguese west coast, through the provinces of Alentejo and Algarve. The route is divided into 13 sectors and starts in Santiago do Cacém, south of Lisbon. The end of the route is the most southwestern point in Europe, the Cabo de São Vicente.
- Long distance hike Guadiana Great Route (GR15). This 48 mile hiking trail starts in Vila Real de Santo Antonio and takes you through the Barrocal and the area of the Baixo Guadiana to Alcoutim. The route is divided into five sectors. The enthusiast can extend this long distance trail to 62 miles, finishing in Mertola.
Walks with and without GPS from other websites and walking guides:
- Rother wandelgids – Algarve, 28 walks
- Wikiloc – best outdoor trails for hiking
- André Wolff – GPS wandelingen
Official walks that we have walked ourselves include a photo gallery and a description that should give a good impression of the track. The statistics with the distance and the altimeters should be an indication of the difficulty of the hike.
It is possible to download the GPS track of all walking routes on this website. We strive that all our followers can fully enjoy the beauty that the Algarve has to offer in terms of hiking.